Soft-Story Retrofit Program
It’s not Voluntary anymore. It’s the Law Now.
Los Angeles’s new Mandatory Soft-Story Retrofit Program, enacted under Ordinance 183893 and Ordinance 184081, was put in place with the goal of substantially reducing structural deficiencies in a way that is both feasible and economical for the owner. Without proper strengthening, these vulnerable buildings are subject to structural failure during and/or after an earthquake, risking both the monetary value of the property and the personal safety of its inhabitance.
Buildings that are most vulnerable have been identified with the following criteria:
- Wood framed buildings of 2 or more stories
- Built before January 1, 1978 or under codes enacted before January 1, 1978
- Contains first story open floor space like ground floor parking
Who’s not affected?
Residential buildings with 3 or less units.
How do I know if this pertains to my property?
If your building is included in the new ordinance you will be sent an order to comply. The City of Los Angeles will send the orders based on the following priorities:
|Priority:||Categories:||Start date of Sending Out Orders:|
|I. Buildings with 16 or more dwelling units||3-story and above||May 2, 2016|
|2-story||July 22, 2016|
|II. Buildings with 3 or more stories||with less than 16 units||Oct 17, 2016|
|III. Buildings not falling within the definition of Priority I or II||with 9-15 units||Jan 30, 2017|
|with 7-8 units||May 29, 2017|
|with 4-6 units||Aug 14, 2017|
|Condos/Commercial||Oct 30, 2017|
Call Us At 213-457-7178 and one of our expert staff will help you.
What is the time frame for compliance?
From the receipt of the Order to Comply:
- 2 years: Submit proof of previous retrofit, plans to retrofit or demolish existing structure
- 3.5 years: Obtain permit to start construction or demolition
- 7 years: Complete construction
How can Land Use Developers Corp. help you?
By managing your retrofit from start to finish, Land Use Developers Corp. makes Earthquake Compliance, and the safety of your Property, easy and worry free. We do all the foot work, so you don’t have to.
We handle Soft-Story Retrofit from A to Z.
- Submit plans for Review and Obtain Approval from the City of Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety.
- Prepare and Submit Necessary documents to the City of Los Angeles Housing Department regarding the Retrofit work to be completed.
- Prepare documentation for apartment owners and their tenants.
- Order Moment Frame based on approved plans.
- Obtain final inspection.